Thursday, November 29, 2007

Facing darkness

[crossposted at Deep Furrows]
«We see darkness and talk about darkness so many times. We mustn't pretend that the darkness doesn't exist; we shouldn't just think some spiritual thoughts about darkness; we can't do something "alongside" the darkness — we have to look it in the face! "I look into my depths and see endless darkness" [song: "Il mio volyo"]. What is it that the darkness can't quash? It can't stop my acknowledging this darkness, and it can't stop the moment "when I realize that You are there," when I realize that this circumstance, no matter how ugly it may be, is not made by itself; when I live through a dark period, even in that moment I am living, and even in the darkness, I do not make myself; it that darkness I have a radiant clarity: I do not make myself.

[...]

We can't avoid this road, nobody can spare us this road, and this is why Christ went deep to the bottom of the darkness: so that we can look at everything. This is anything but an intellectual exercise! It's simply the recognition of reality according to all its factors.»

Fr. Julián Carrón
Notes from the talks by Ciancarlo Cesana and Julián Carrón at the Beginning Day for CL adults in the Lombardy Region of Italy, September 29, 2007.
Traces Vol 9, #9 - 2007

I mention this apropos of a post at Deep Furrows on an priest sex abuse trial in Kansas City. The post offered only a partial, tentative judgment. If I link to these articles from time to time, it's because of an implicit need to look at the darkness and betrayals of my life, of our life together in the Church. I must remember, however, not to stop at the surface, but to seek the face of Him who conquers the darkness.

No comments: